Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 05-08-06 15:05:00

Siobhan

Web communities you have loved

The internet is one wacky place, or a trillion of them. What communities have you been a part of, either forums, chat rooms, boards, or the like, that you've loved? What was special about the place, and why? Does it still exist?

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#2 05-08-06 16:08:04

The_Elfman
Website

Re: Web communities you have loved

BA and this one are really the only ones I have been part of.  I tried ISM for a while but didn't really know anyone apart from blissed and max so I felt lonely.  I don't post much at AW because for forum there is too big for me.  There are some interesting discussions there from time to time but they take too long to find.

Elfman.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

#3 05-08-06 16:38:08

nibbler

I used to visit jmeeting.com (still exists and mostly free), AWC (not free any more), BA, ISM etc etc.. not to mention the regular yahell messenger.

#4 05-08-06 22:32:46

Burlesque

I won't tell, because you would all laugh at me. I will say that the IFM forum is the only one I'm currently involved in (even though I'm occasionally unfaithful when the going is slow here), because it's the only one that provides the class and level of intelligence that I like to make people believe that I possess. Of course the AW forum is fun and nice, but it is most often a little too vacuous for my tastes. Look who's talking now smile.

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#5 05-08-06 23:28:55

Will

I'm a bit of a movie fan, and so I do enjoy the Empire forums for a bit of good ol'  chat on celluloid. However, I'm not telling you my username on there because then you would know far too much about me. wink

#6 05-08-06 23:32:31

Burlesque

Aaahaaa! Empire! My favourite film magazine! I shall now make it my mission in life to find out who on the Empire forum is also known as ... Will. smile

Burlesque.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#7 06-08-06 02:02:48

The_West_Wind

I'm a fan of Sia Furler and before I was locked out of the messageboard on her site (reason still unknown) I used it as the catalist for my advice column.

I'm also a member of the internet community known as The Lock Legion. I'm a relatively new member, I wont be a full member until I start making flashtoons.
This link is not their actual site, but they post their stuff here quite often. Check it out:
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/locklegion.html

Quick edit: Just a note to those who are thinking about watching a Lock Legion Collab (you'll know them when you see them.) a few may contain elements that have been linked to epileptic seizures (flashing colours, sounds ect.) be careful, some will have warnings.

**13 days until The West Wind comes back to Melbourne!**
(dont worry, I wont keep doing this all the time)

Last edited by The_West_Wind (06-08-06 02:37:50)

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#8 10-08-06 00:11:52

Warmtouch

The forum that changed my life: the Punternet message board. It's defunct now, killed by the owner due to massive abuse by a minority of the users.

Punternet is a consumer-driven prostitute-evaluation database for UK "punters," i.e. johns. Although it sounds tasteless, in fact it's the best of several. All evaluations are written in plain English, so there's no numeric "rating" of body parts or sex acts. A prostitute who doesn't want her name and evaluations to appear there may ask that they be removed (all or nothing, not selectively for obvious reasons), and she may write a rebuttal to any specific evaluation or "field report" as they're called. But the vast majority of reports are both positive and respectful. You can read them, free, at www.punternet.com.

The message board was a forum in which both working girls and punters could post freely. It was fairly well moderated until the end. It was there that I met these women online and realized that they weren't all drug addicts or robbing or blackmailing their customers. The majority were in fact independents making a nice living (although with some non-trivial risks and costs). Had I not found them -- and learned the truth behind the stereotypes -- I could never have become a punter myself. I chatted with, and got to know something of the personality of, almost every working girl I visited BEFORE I went -- and in the few cases where I didn't, it was often a mistake. Often much of what appealed to me WAS in fact their online manner. Looks are nice, for sure, but brains, grace, wisdom, and courtesy are more pleasant to spend an hour or two (and a lot of money) with.

I eventually dropped out of the Punternet message board -- too much of the same old stuff (including obnoxious nasty men and some obnoxious nasty women too), but it changed my life forever and now that it's gone I miss it.

#9 10-08-06 00:12:49

Burlesque

That's both sad and joyous, Jolicrasseux. Beautifully expressed, atmospheric and enlightening. Thank you!

Burlesque.

#10 10-08-06 01:13:42

blissed

That was a really nice post Jolicrasseux smile and warmtouch, I always find your meretricious http://www.rhymezone.com/r/d?u=meretricious experiences really interesting.

Actually meretricious is quite a good word instead of prostitute.
I don't like to apply nouns to people because they become things or stereotypes, and knowing how people don't fit them, it would be nice to say

"she's nearly blind but still paints and she has a selfless nature to the point of being wonderfully meretricious "

Last edited by blissed (10-08-06 01:14:38)

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#11 10-08-06 02:52:29

Siobhan

jolicrasseux wrote:

In spite of my age, I'm a beginner in PCs; I started in july2005. Living alone in the country, music was my only love and I  downloaded thru P2P tons of classical. Thinking of death, the first site that google gave me was: Beautiful agony or facettes de la petite mort . . . .
BA and IFM give me a second youth and frequent laughs surprised me.

That's beautiful.
I meant to ask you, since you used the word  and since you live in rural France and are about his age, do you know or know the work of John Berger? Englishman, art critic, post-structual theorist, and one of my favorite novelists -- he chronicles the decline of rural life in France through his books like "Pig Earth," part of his "Into their Labours" trilogy. He's someone I've alwasy wanted to know, so I'd like to think that you could know him for me smile

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#12 10-08-06 07:52:07

greycat

basic answer:  though a pc user since my first 8086 before some of the models were born, and internet user through work since I'm not too sure when, only forum communities I've ever been part of are AW and here, and only for a few months now. The first of the Aussie sites I stumbled into was GOW, and while I keep a membership, the forum there does not do anything for me.

(allegedly) amusing signature deleted until further notice.

#13 10-08-06 09:28:25

Burlesque

blissed wrote:

Actually meretricious is quite a good word instead of prostitute.

Look! It has learned a new word! See how proud it is!

Burlesque.

#14 12-08-06 11:54:46

Burlesque

Now that is a cool face. He looks like a weathered, working-class Ian McKellen. I would never have thought him a writer.

The same goes for this guy:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1457/mobergfx9.png

This is a picture of Vilhelm Moberg, who wrote the novels "The Emigrants" and "The New Land"; some of you may have seen the movie adaptations, which were fairly successful abroad.

(OK, so it's a small picture and not very good, but give me a break: this is the first time I've been even faintly successful in uploading an image.)

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (12-08-06 11:57:39)

Board footer