Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 04-07-06 00:34:19

blissed

Venus we need you

With all this talk of sexual politics and equality, I think the lovely Liandra has hit the nail on the head a bit with the phrase "I hope to goddess" Our society is based on 2000 years of Christianity, which has one patriarchal god. If it had a god and goddess, the foundations in society for a sound female sexual identity would have been in place a long time ago. But as it is, there just not there. In Italy artists had to evoke the spirit of Venus to "get away with" appreciating and celebrating the female form with out to much scorn from the clergy. So if a Roman goddess can exert that sort of influence 1000 years later, what sort of society would we be living in now if Christianity had always had a goddess. The society around us as we're growing up deeply effects our subconscious, so I don't think it's enough to say we're all equal or even be equal. But to have that reflected in the culture. i.e. Male and female become Homme and Femme, 2 equally wieghted words so we don't use a generic term for a person 'man' and then stick a bit on to mean a woman. That last point I seem to be campaigning about single hommed smile and is quite hard to work into conversation without looking silly, but I've looked a pillock many times before, so I think I should really be getting used to it by now smile

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#2 04-07-06 02:26:05

Siobhan

Re: Venus we need you

Amen!

(to the post, not to the pillock... wink~ )

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#3 07-07-06 02:09:08

blissed

Thanks smile I think making a movie that had an ordinary story not a science fiction tale that is set in an alternate present day where that is in fact what has happened, that christianity has had a god and a goddess. During the time between the cruxifiction 0033 and when the bible was finished 0095 christianity seems like it was in flux with lots of different sects vying for the place of main orthodox church view and a goddess could have come from Gnosticists http://www.religioustolerance.org/gnostic.htm

(pasted from the site) Gnosticists had:
- Novel beliefs about Gods, the Bible and the world which differed from those of other Christian groups.
- Tolerance of different religious beliefs within and outside of Gnosticism.
- Lack of discrimination against women.
- A belief that salvation is achieved through relational and experiential knowledge. In the words of The Gnostic Apostolic Church, humanity needs to be awakened and brought "to a realisation of [his] (edit: it's) true nature. [ Mankind is] (edit: people are) moving towards the Omega Point,............piffle wiffle wiffle

but verily I say unto thee, when I make the film and it's a box office hit, people would be talking about all these issues all over the world wouldn't they.

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#4 07-07-06 02:29:05

kronocide

I have read that the prominent place of the Virgin Mary in some Latin countries is an inheritance from a pre-Christian worship of a female deity. It often seems to me that Christianity is a lot less monotheistic than it claims, especially Catholicism with all its saints and other subdieties. (That said, I prefer polytheistic religions. They have better stories.)

I'm not sure what difference it would make if God was a woman. Female gods are common in other places and times. One of my favorite mythologies is the story of the birth of Kali. Kali worship has ancient tantric roots and is still practiced widely in India and Sri Lanka, but I can't say I see any positive effects for women's roll in society. (But I'm certainly not an expert, just going on superficial impressions and anecdotal evidence.) This despite the fact that Kali has been adopted as a kind of feminist symbol by some.

In general I think we could do fine without any religion whatever, but that's just me (and a few others).

"Everytime I hear that melody--puts me up a tree..."
--Tom Waits

Board footer