Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 03-07-06 12:30:35

kronocide

There will be a summer after all

A few weeks ago my dad called me to "update me on events." Huh? Let's just say it's not something that happens regularly. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd been having a bad cough lately, and now the doctors had found a "spot" on his lung X-ray. The doctor had said there was a 50-50 chance it wasn't cancer, but my dad--the big smoker--thought it probably was. I have no idea what other spots may show up on a lung X-ray, so I was inclined to agree, and it was enough to scare the living daylights out of me.

There was a quite horrible cancer death in the family a few years back, and I know that 9 out of 10 who are diagnosed with lung cancer are not alive five years later. Black clouds were gathering on my skies, I canceled all summer plans, decided to go up to my dad's summer house over midsummer, because it might be the last "normal" time we get in quite a while... Today was Big Scary day, when the test results came back. I've been sitting by the phone all day. When it rang I went ice cold. Then, after chit-chatting for a minute, dad told me it's not a tumor. It's some kind of fold on the lung, and he's due to make a check every six months just to make sure nothing is happening with it.

The sky is clearing, and life is returning for me this summer. (And that's how I feel, I can just imagine how he feels about it.) Just felt like sharing. smile

Last edited by kronocide (03-07-06 12:52:48)

"Everytime I hear that melody--puts me up a tree..."
--Tom Waits

#2 03-07-06 12:59:55

blissed

Re: There will be a summer after all

Thanks kronocide I'm really relieved myself now I've read your post to the end. I thought I was going to have to clumsily console you, but now responding is much easier smile Has it shocked him into giving up smoking now. Anyway congratulations on the good news and you can take the rest of the day off to relax and treat yourself. (Got any strawberries in the shops) It's things like this that bring you closer because you contemplate them not being around so thats probably something you've gained from today, anyway,  stay happy smile

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#3 03-07-06 16:39:24

kronocide

Thanks, Blissed!

blissed wrote:

Has it shocked him into giving up smoking now.

Frankly, I doubt it... But I don't know.

It's things like this that bring you closer because you contemplate them not being around so thats probably something you've gained from today...

That is really true. On Sunday is his birthday, and normally I (and my sisters) would just call or send an email, but I think we'll go there and have a proper birthday celebration this time. smile

Wow, I had braced myself for some really rough seas in the near future. This is such a relief.

Last edited by kronocide (03-07-06 16:39:57)

--Tom Waits

#4 03-07-06 16:56:54

Siobhan

I'm very glad for your news. Thanks for sharing what's going on in your life.

You know, given the juxtaposition of events, I'm wondering: will we see less of you now? Here's my thought:

People who follow my posts know that I, too, joined up in a stressful time in my life; erotica, like life's other great pleasures -- chocolate, film, good wine, expensive things, etc -- are for some of us a welcome escape when quotidian realities become too, shall we say, harsh.

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#5 03-07-06 16:59:14

Siobhan

Hope you're sticking around, is what I meant to say wink

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#6 03-07-06 18:46:50

Elfman

Good news Kronocide.  I know how scary these thing can be. 

Elfman

#7 03-07-06 20:51:14

Bishop of Bath & Wells

That's such good news, kronocide. I see poor old Fred Trueman sucumbed to lung cancer over the weekend, very sad indeed.

Bish

#8 04-07-06 14:23:44

kronocide

Thank you all. Bishop, I had to look up who Fred Trueman was, I'm from Sweden. smile

In general I've been thinking quite a bit of those who didn't get the happy news when the phone rang.

Siobhan wrote:

You know, given the juxtaposition of events, I'm wondering: will we see less of you now? Here's my thought:

People who follow my posts know that I, too, joined up in a stressful time in my life; erotica, like life's other great pleasures -- chocolate, film, good wine, expensive things, etc -- are for some of us a welcome escape when quotidian realities become too, shall we say, harsh.

I see precisely what you mean, Siobhan, but this is such a cool site I don't think I'll leave these forums anytime soon. Well actually, I'll leave them in a few hours, when I take my tent out to the archipelago (more specifically here) for a few days. But I doubt I'll be able to stay away once I get back home. Thanks for the kind words.

--Tom Waits

#9 04-07-06 14:35:55

Siobhan

wow. wow. so gorgeous.

Have a great time.

::thinking::

you know, you've just inspired me.
I'm meant to be making last minute fiddlings on a proposal that i'm delivering to some philanthropists at a dinner party at my house tomorrow night.

HOWEVER, there's  really no reason I can't get the work done somewhere OTHER than here.

well, on second thought, really can't get away. yet.

but you HAVE inspired me. do you fish? do you read? do you keep a notebook filled with little drawings of the ecosystem?

vacations are good. vacations are good. vacations are good. vacations are good. . . .

#10 04-07-06 15:31:49

blissed

http://www.batlivroslagen.se/galleriros … /index.htm

Wow kronocide that looks really nice. Is the water too cold to swim even in summer. It is lovely to get away and it's just what you need to clear your mind of any possible lingering emotional stress too. Actually you've just given me a thought as well, I'm gonna have to take a holiday like yours and somewhere where I can go swimming in clean natural fresh water, I haven't done that for ages.

Last edited by blissed (04-07-06 15:32:28)

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#11 05-07-06 12:56:02

kronocide

Siobhan wrote:

do you fish? do you read? do you keep a notebook filled with little drawings of the ecosystem?

I spend all my time studying the island's ant population. You know, giving them names, talking to them, trying to become a member of the ant colony so I can observe them without interfering, and so on.

Seriously, I do like to fish but I don't even own any equipment right now. I also prefer if there is someone around that I can give any potential catches to, since I love to eat fish but am too lazy to gut and clean it.

I read though. This time I need to read a book for a course, but it's something I might have read even if I didn't have to, so that's fine. But most of the day is spent looking for wood for the little fire I keep burning. It's very back-to-nature.

Where will you go when you eventually get away?

blissed wrote:

Is the water too cold to swim even in summer.

It depends on what you're used to I suppose, it's nothing like the Mediterranean, but bearable in the summer. In fact, if I live in a tent I will probably have to wash in the sea. It's pretty nice though.

--Tom Waits

#12 05-07-06 13:47:26

Burlesque

Good news about your father, Kronocide. I've been through similar stuff, and know what an incredible amount of stress and pain you must have been suffered.

That's the way to spend a vacation! I grew up by the sea (on the west coast), and to me there's nothing more beatiful than a good old skärgård (roughly "archipelago"). Camping on a little island is blissful. During summer, the water can be somewhere between 18 and 25 degrees Celsius here (I think that's approximately 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit), so it's quite "swimmable".

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#13 05-07-06 15:44:41

kronocide

Thanks, Burlesque!

I have seen very little of the west coast. We used to take the caravan there when I was little and I had great fun fishing for crab using a smashed clam on a string. But I haven't been back as an adult, or really seen the place. I have seen too little of Sweden in general.

--Tom Waits

#14 05-07-06 16:19:00

Burlesque

Fishing for crabs using a smashed clam on a string ... (Burlesque breaks into whimpering sobs thinking of his long gone childhood.)

I have been to various places in Sweden, including Stockholm, but I've rarely stayed long enough to, as you say, really see the place. For instance I was in Umeå for just under 48 hours - you just don't get to know a place from so brief a visit, and that's the kind of travelling I've been doing.

"I only have a drinking problem when I can't get a drink." (Tom Waits again ... )

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

Board footer