Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 15-06-06 08:54:11

The_West_Wind

Penn and Teller: Bullshit!

I have followed Penn and Teller's career for a long time and I consider myself a huge fan of their work.
For those of you who dont know Penn and Teller are a pair of well known magicians, self proclaimed rip-off artists and skeptics. Penn Jillette is the big, tall and louder half of the duo, and Teller, is the short quite one who does cool stuff while Penn is talking.

One of their best tricks was during a show where they did house calls across America and did tricks for unsuspecting families. One of then was the worlds heaviest card trick using a deck of specially made five foot stainless steel playing cards. They had to shuffle the deck with forklifts.

Now they host a show called "Penn and Teller: Bullshit!" where they basically take a topic, like The Bible for example, and point out how irrelivant  and contradictory it is but hearing interviews and arguements from both sides of the topic and giving it that classic Penn and Teller twist.

Here is a link to one of their episodes (please be patient, it goes for about half an hour), it deals with the topic of Abstinance. (sorry, I couldnt change it into a hyperlink).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … and+Teller

Last edited by The_West_Wind (15-06-06 08:57:23)

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#2 15-06-06 12:25:16

Warmtouch

Re: Penn and Teller: Bullshit!

Penn and Teller are really cool, and abstinence is the dumbest idea imaginable. Once I had had sex for the first time you might as well have asked me not to breathe.

#3 15-06-06 13:04:39

The_West_Wind

I agree that abstinence is a really dumb idea. If you saw the video clip, it provides some really good reasons why.

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#4 15-06-06 16:26:54

Elfman

Abstinence.  Isn't that like Pernot?

#5 15-06-06 21:43:32

blissed

Thanks the west wind that was really good

I have a myspace music page and one of the friends on it is an American girl of 13 ( who's not even suppose to be on myspace, in fact I had to tell her to stop telling everyone she's 13 or she'd get kicked off ) Anyway, right now, she's into abstinence before marraige. She's nice open and honest and just wants someone to love her in the bad times when she's not sexy. I think the sort of abstinence thats practical is avoiding the risks of penetrative sex with mutual masturbation or kink. I've posted on this on a myspace forum with mostly Americans and nobody knows WTF I'm talking about smile  So I think Penn and Teller are correct in saying that Americans should get some proper sex education and stop paying people to talk absolute cobblers.

Anyway, in the film I like the women who was fired in Washington for advocating masturbation.

"I never met anyone in Washington who knew enough or loved enough to make sexual decisions for anyone "

"masturbation never gave anyone an std, never made anybody pregnant, never made anybody go crazy and you always know your having sex with someone you love."

and Penn and Teller:
The 4 human bodily functions "eating shitting masturbating and lieing" smile

Last edited by blissed (15-06-06 22:27:01)

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#6 17-06-06 07:59:54

msnevil

Like most things, I think the answer is in the middle.

Rampant "sex", even with "protection". Is risky with the prevalence of STD's, unwanted pregnacy's, and loss of intimate relaitionships. While Complete Abstinence is well, dumb. Since we are human, not emotionaless robots.

Since we don't marry at age 12. (Like the old day's) I like others think mutual masturbation before marriage is the way to go.

Of course, I'm a old stick in the mud for traditional marriage. (Soul mate, and all that stuff. Of course, This is ancient thought. And cohabitation today, is in. Please note, Same sex marriage is included in "traditional" marriage.)

#7 27-06-06 22:08:50

LiberalNoob

Bullshit! is pure gold.  Proof: the shows about bottled water and the bible.

#8 27-06-06 22:40:44

blissed

Hi LiberalNoob. Yeah I thought the show was good. Some American teens just say tere into abstinence so their parents don't worry so much and they get a lot more freedom, but thats a little secret between you and me, don't tell anyone else wink Anyway, welcome to the forum smile

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#9 05-07-06 14:21:26

kronocide

Elfman wrote:

Abstinence.  Isn't that like Pernot?

Sort of, but it's the one that drives you crazy. wink

"Everytime I hear that melody--puts me up a tree..."
--Tom Waits

#10 05-07-06 14:25:17

kronocide

blissed wrote:

and Penn and Teller:
The 4 human bodily functions "eating shitting masturbating and lieing" smile

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Boiled down to essentials, a nervous system enables the organism to succeed in the four F's: feeding, fleeing, fighting, and reproducing."
--Patricia Churchland

smile

"Everytime I hear that melody--puts me up a tree..."
--Tom Waits

Board footer