Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 19-06-06 03:33:26

ashmedi

What I See - Update 2 of 2

As an update only I added 3 more views of 4 more pics in Webshots.

Three (numbers 17 to 19) are taken outside and the focus is 100' plus and the left eye distortion takes on a different flavor than the inside shots.

One (number 20) is taken inside and is the first example that really shows the difference between right and left views.

I have come to the conclusion that the brain does some amazing work when it blends the images. I have just noticed that the dead spot in my left eye changes depending on what the brain "thinks" should be there where it doesn't see anything. It fills the area with the most dominant color or pattern in the adjacent areas.
As Mr Spock would say "Fascinating" 

After modifying the pics for the left view (I am getting better with the software) I wondered how many artists of old who painted with a distorted view, were in actual fact, painting exactly what the saw thru damaged eyes.

Lo-Res Images  750x500, all between 45 kb and 100 kb
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? … ity=qyzstO

Hi-Res Images  2160x1440, all between 300 mb and 700 mb
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? … ity=rZNUDR

Ashmedi is an ancient god of rage and lust.
I don't feel rage, but the lust part fits like a glove.
"Isn't this a lovely day my friend ?
Just watch some b@st@rd screw it up"

#2 19-06-06 14:21:05

Burlesque

Re: What I See - Update 2 of 2

This does make things ... clearer. Sorry, I can never resist a stupid joke. The difference between the eyes (as you say, especially in #20) is enormous. If I didn't know better, I would think that you had two completely different eye disorders. If your brain hadn't been able to amalgamate the two images into one, you would be walking around in a perpetual state of confusion, I would think. You said something in an earlier post to the effect that one eye was "just in the way" and that you wore a patch over it. Is this correct? If so, do you generally wear the patch, or only under specific circumstances, such as when using your computer?

What you say about the brain "filling in the blanks" reminds me of the computer technology used to restore old movies: the computer selects frames before and after the damaged area and replaces the unusable ones, producing the illusion that the film is running continously, while one in reality is seeing the same frames repeated several times. The eyes don't register this fact, since film runs by so fast that individual frames aren't visible.

Your idea about artists of old is rather intriguing (another one of Spock's favourite words smile) and could very well be true. Do you know if anyone has thought of this theory before? With all the art critics around, one would think that the thought would have occurred to someone, because when you say it, it sounds like such an obvious possibility. All the best ideas are like that, I suppose: "Now why didn't I think of that".

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#3 19-06-06 23:14:46

ashmedi

Burlesque wrote:

This does make things ... clearer. Sorry, I can never resist a stupid joke. The difference between the eyes (as you say, especially in #20) is enormous. If I didn't know better, I would think that you had two completely different eye disorders. If your brain hadn't been able to amalgamate the two images into one, you would be walking around in a perpetual state of confusion, I would think. You said something in an earlier post to the effect that one eye was "just in the way" and that you wore a patch over it. Is this correct? If so, do you generally wear the patch, or only under specific circumstances, such as when using your computer?

What you say about the brain "filling in the blanks" reminds me of the computer technology used to restore old movies: the computer selects frames before and after the damaged area and replaces the unusable ones, producing the illusion that the film is running continously, while one in reality is seeing the same frames repeated several times. The eyes don't register this fact, since film runs by so fast that individual frames aren't visible.

Your idea about artists of old is rather intriguing (another one of Spock's favourite words smile) and could very well be true. Do you know if anyone has thought of this theory before? With all the art critics around, one would think that the thought would have occurred to someone, because when you say it, it sounds like such an obvious possibility. All the best ideas are like that, I suppose: "Now why didn't I think of that".

Burlesque.

Good afternoon Burlesque.
I can never resist a stupid joke or play on words either, and I appreciate your sense of humor.

I have worn the patch on the left ever since the right one started to fail and it is to prevent those wonky left eye images from overlayong the right eye image as it just adds to the blurriness. I use the patch on the computer, watching TV, and reading the newspaper as well as a number of other things. I definitly take the patch off in bright condifitios IF I am driving as I need the left eye input for peripheral vision and because it lightens the merged image without too much distortion added, just flashes randomly.
I think in my particular case, my brain has just recently tried to amalgate the images again after a 9 year holiday.
Pic 20 actually confuses me because I have trouble reconcilibg or explaining logically why the 2 eyes are so different. The blurred features also show up on other people in dim light or shade if they are further away than 4 feet and is strange because I can see the lips, nose, eyes, but can't tell if the person is smiling or even looking at me. I am warning everybody I know that I am not snubbing them, and a number of the girls at work make sure they call me by name when I drop in to visit. It's nice because I can usually relate the combination of voice and body style, shape, size to the name of the person.
I am going to try overlaying my left pics over the right and see if I can emulate a reasonably accurate both eye scenario.

I knew there was a valid example I could have used for the brains activity. Since I can't focus with left because of the blind spot, it is difficult to really determine what change filled the empty space. When I close my right eye and just use the left, the displayed image moves right, and stretches up and the only clear things are in the periphery. Trying to remember what is in peripheral vision from this view is almost wiped from memory when you open the right eye and the image shifts left and down.
What I really need that would be helpful is a brain that does  "screen captures" and allows me to copy that image into my graphic software. smile

I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have wondered about some artists depiction of reality, but on the other hand, if you don't have a similar problem, or have never seen the effects of a simialer problem, how would you really know. I am somewhat blessed in a way since I have 2 eyes, and 2 realities, but my brain knows that my left reality is not really reality. I suppose if I were stone blind in the right and had been since birth, my left eye would really ne my reality, and if I could paint, my art would reflect that.
In my case I see an alternate reality, and thanks to computers and graphic software, I am able to depict the left reality using the eye that sees an unskewed right reality.

I think I am confusing even myelf now, I hope you can follow my twisted logic, if not, you know where I am. smile

#4 19-06-06 23:34:33

Burlesque

Goodnight, Ashmedi ... if that's the correct phrase. Good morning, perhaps? It's 20 past midnight in Sweden. Well, I'll be up for a long time yet.

It amazes me that you can drive a car, but as I have said earlier, it's not possible for me to comprehend what is and is not possible, since I haven't lived with this condition and thus haven't been able to "get used" to it the way you have been forced to do.

I can understand that it's difficult to tell if someone's looking at you, but it's a bit more odd that you can't see if they're smiling (and I suppose this goes for other facial expressions as well?)

I do think I understand your logic in this case Ashmedi, but there was a time, when you're on about secondary birthdays and planets and all manner of things ... Finally I saw that you had written an explanation about the orbital cycle of other planets, and how long a year is there, and then I got it. Before that, I sort of thought "What is this guy smoking?" smile

By the way, I recently saw a couple of photos where there was this really cool looking guy. He reminds me very much of an actor, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#5 20-06-06 04:49:23

ashmedi

Burlesque wrote:

I can understand that it's difficult to tell if someone's looking at you, but it's a bit more odd that you can't see if they're smiling (and I suppose this goes for other facial expressions as well?)

I do think I understand your logic in this case Ashmedi, but there was a time, when you're on about secondary birthdays and planets and all manner of things ... Finally I saw that you had written an explanation about the orbital cycle of other planets, and how long a year is there, and then I got it. Before that, I sort of thought "What is this guy smoking?" smile

By the way, I recently saw a couple of photos where there was this really cool looking guy. He reminds me very much of an actor, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Burlesque.

Good evening B, sorry I didn't get back to you on your yesterday, got sidetracked watching TV and the Stanley Cup.

It is a strange lack of detail in the expressions. I actually stuck out my tongue while looking in at myself in the mirror from 4 feet away and couldn't see it.

I am guessing you found my humble little web pages, I get a kick at work (while I was there) to wishing Happy Birthday to the girls on their Martian or some other birthday just for the hell of it. It made them feel special most of the time and usually got me a hug for remembering. I have a spreadsheet with about 100 birthdays and anniversaries which tracks dates and is formula driven so that if I sort it I get a list of the next important date for each person on the list. A couple of the guys I work with think I should pass it on to them so that they can carry on the tradition.

You lost me on the photos of the guy. Where did you see them?

Board footer