Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 02-06-06 15:19:44

Burlesque

I'm a moron! Help me!

I'm completely useless when it comes to doing anything the slightest bit advanced with a computer. I've been here for about a month now, and thought it would be a nice time to get myself an avatar. Then I realised, of course, that I don't have a clue as to how one would go about such a thing. I have seen something about it here in the forum, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone could enlighten me, I would be much obliged.

Note: I don't have a scanner or a digital camera, so any avatar of mine would have to be "prefab" and readily available on the Web.

Yours, moronically,

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (02-06-06 15:20:53)

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#2 02-06-06 16:31:44

ashmedi

Re: I'm a moron! Help me!

Good morning Burlesque.

I don't believe you are as much a moron as you say, but from the basics try this. Feel free to email me for specific help

In your browser, go to Gooogle   http://www.google.ca/

Type   avatar free    and click search.

This will bring up a series of websites that have avatars, you will have to search to find something you like.

Once you have found one, two, or a dozen, save them to your computer so you can find them later. I would suggest you limit the avatar sizes to a maximum size of 60 x 60 pixels and no larger than 10,000 bytes. This forum is restrictive on sizes so if it is too large it won't work. The webpage you are searching or browsing should indicate the size of the avatars both in pixels (dimensions) and bytes (size)

Once you have the avatar(s) on your hard drive, My Documents for example, you can add the avatar thru the forum.

To do this you click on Profile in the Blue title bar.
When it opens your profile, look on the left side, click Personality
Add a check to the box "Use Avatar" and at the bottom click Submit I believe it will then ask you where the avatar is and you browse to the location you saved it to from your google search.

As I said, feel free to email me if anything is unclear or something doesn't work like I said.

Happy Hunting

Last edited by ashmedi (02-06-06 23:20:54)

Ashmedi is an ancient god of rage and lust.
I don't feel rage, but the lust part fits like a glove.
"Isn't this a lovely day my friend ?
Just watch some b@st@rd screw it up"

#3 02-06-06 17:01:14

Elfman

If you can't find an avatar you like Burlesque come back to us and let us know secificly what you would like.  I don't doubt that someone will be able to provide you with exactly what you want.

#4 02-06-06 19:04:19

blissed

I'm a moron as well, but I never seem to get any sympathy for it smile

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#5 02-06-06 21:08:00

Elfman

By the way Burlesque I think that you also need a signature;

All of the best people have them you know.

Elfman.

Last edited by Elfman (02-06-06 22:59:02)

#6 02-06-06 22:24:26

blissed

I've made a short guide. if you can't reduce a picture to 60x60 pixels. If you follow the guide '3 steps to posting a picture' from the Tech section and post a pic you like, I'll reduce it and repost it for you to drag and drop.

http://www.ifeelmyself.com/forum/viewto … 3669#p3669

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#7 02-06-06 22:45:09

Elfman

blissed wrote:

I've made a short guide. if you can't reduce a picture to 60x60 pixels. If you follow the guide '3 steps to posting a picture' from the Tech section and post a pic you like, I'll reduce it and repost it for you to drag and drop.

http://www.ifeelmyself.com/forum/viewto … 3669#p3669

Blissed.  You've done it again.  Well done.  Where would we all be without you?

Elfman

Last edited by Elfman (02-06-06 22:45:35)

#8 03-06-06 15:51:20

Burlesque

blissed wrote:

I'm a moron as well, but I never seem to get any sympathy for it smile

(Burlesque oozes sympathy through the ether until it reaches Blissed.)

Thank you, Ashmedi and Blissed. I've followed your instructions, and I almost immediately stumbled onto an avatar I really liked. With your guides it was easy to shrink and upload it. You are very good people.

I've also added a signature, so that Elfman won't think less of me smile.

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (03-06-06 15:52:05)

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#9 03-06-06 18:21:38

Elfman

Well done Burlesque.  I like it.  Is it a crow or a raven?  I hope it's a raven then I can call you "Nevermore".

http://www.heise.de/ix/raven/Literature … Raven.html

Elfman.

#10 03-06-06 18:25:40

Burlesque

It is indeed a raven, and inevitably Poe circled around my head as I chose it. I explain the main reason for my choice in Blissed's "Happy avatar" thread in "Tech stuff". Do call me Nevermore when the fancy strikes you; it's somewhat apt.

Burlesque.

#11 03-06-06 18:31:14

Elfman

Burlesque wrote:

It is indeed a raven, and inevitably Poe circled around my head as I chose it. I explain the main reason for my choice in Blissed's "Happy avatar" thread in "Tech stuff". Do call me Nevermore when the fancy strikes you; it's somewhat apt.

Burlesque.

Just seen your post on "Tech Stuff".  Sorry I didn't see it until I had posted the above.  Thanks for the info on the Swedish proverb.  Very interesting.  Do let us have some more.  (Glad you like Poe by the way).

#12 03-06-06 18:47:23

Burlesque

I like Poe a great deal, even though it has been a while since I read him. A couple of my favourites (apart from the obvious one) are "King Pest" and "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket". My favourite poem of his is "The City in the Sea", but "The Raven" runs a close second. I'm also one of those people who think H.P. Lovecraft is severely underrated.

I'm not really much of a one for proverbs, but perhaps the other "Scandinavian types" can sally forth for this worthy cause?

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (03-06-06 18:49:15)

#13 03-06-06 20:25:14

Elfman

Burlesque wrote:

I'm also one of those people who think H.P. Lovecraft is severely underrated.Burlesque.

Is he not fashionable these days?  Back in the early seventies when I was reading horror he was very highly rated.

Elfman

#14 03-06-06 21:44:48

Burlesque

Yes, he comes into fashion every now and then, but a lot of critics think his writing is a bit overloaded with adjectives and so on. Sometimes that's true, but at his best, he's easily Poe's equal. Still, Lovecraft himself couldn't have dreamed of being as popular as he is these days, and that's nice. It would have been even nicer if he had gotten to see it for himself - he was very poor and obscure when he died.

Burlesque.

Board footer