Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 04-07-06 00:08:17

The_West_Wind

I want to go to Sweden.

With all the Swedish members here I should get some really gööd ideas on where to go, what to do and how long to stay. Got any tips?

Bring 'em on!

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#2 04-07-06 05:25:31

Burlesque

Re: I want to go to Sweden.

In god's name, West Wind, why!?

Just kidding. Well, we do have a rather good comics store in Gothenburg ... smile

If you want to be conventional and go to Stockholm, I really can't help you, since I've only been there twice myself, but I believe Kronocide could help you out there.

As for the west coast, you should go somewhere between late April and early September, because Spring, Autumn and Winter in Sweden are generally no laughing matter. In Summer there's swimming in the ocean (but you undoubtedly have better in Australia), there are night clubs, Göteborgskalaset (The Gothenburg Party) in July, consisting of tens of thousands of people cramming together outdoors, getting unbelievably drunk and urinating in the bushes, and for the more serious minded there are plenty of museums and historical landmarks, including - outside Gothenburg - a somewhat impressive fortress from the 11th Century. If you want to buy booze, you have wide selection: you can either get it from Systembolaget (the state monopoly) or from your friendly neigbourhood Eastern European truckdriver. The women are all slappers ... no, they're not, that's just Elfman talking through me. He made me write that. Let's try again: the women are independent and generally smart, fun and liberated, though you might do well to avoid mentioning Spider-Man etc., because I've regrettably found them to have a relatively low tolerance for geekdom smile. Most Swedes tend to speak tolerable English.

That's all I've got. I don't get out much. wink

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#3 04-07-06 12:44:12

kronocide

What season would you plan to come? There are both summer and winter things to do, especially if you enjoy cross-country skiing or tour skating. How much would you like to travel around rather than stay in one city? Finally, how long do you think you would stay, and would it be part of a tour of Europe in general? With that info, I could help better! smile

"Everytime I hear that melody--puts me up a tree..."
--Tom Waits

#4 05-07-06 02:54:42

The_West_Wind

I'm not planing on going for atleast a year. I want to learn the language a bit before I head over there. To be honest, I just want to go there because I've never been there. There are alot of places I havent been yet. Sweden is one of them, and you've got to start somewhere.

Burlesque: If the women of Sweden dont like comic geeks, then it's their loss. I'm not changing.

Last edited by The_West_Wind (05-07-06 02:56:06)

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#5 05-07-06 03:02:00

Burlesque

Don't take my little "traveller's guide" too seriously, West Wind. I think you'll do fine just the way you are!

Burlesque.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#6 05-07-06 13:53:39

The_West_Wind

I know, but I would like to learn the language a bit before head over. I believe that you cant enter a country without knowing how to speak the language. Never assume that everyone speaks English.

I have some internet links to language sites, but nothing formal just yet. I'm still working on that.

#7 05-07-06 13:57:55

kronocide

It's a good principle to assume that not everyone speaks English, I like it, but you don't need to worry about Sweden, basically everyone can at least communicate intelligibly, and younger people tend to be near-fluent.

I have a suggestion for where to get some really good tips and travel information. Try Lonely Planet's forums, on lonelyplanet.com. I use it all the time when I'm going somewhere, and there are always a group of people who have lots of experience and advice they are happy to share.

--Tom Waits

#8 05-07-06 14:33:02

Burlesque

Swedish pre-101:

Å is pronounced similarly to the vowel sound in "for".
Ä is pronounced similarly to the vowel sound in "hair".
Ö is pronounced similarly to the vowel sound in "bird".

Useless or almost useless knowledge is the best kind!

Burlesque.

#9 06-07-06 14:45:23

The_West_Wind

I'm using this at the moment so I can hear what Swedish sounds like and to improve my pronounciation:

http://www.loecsen.com/travel/discover_ … n-Swedish/

It's pretty cool and it teaches the basics.

#10 06-07-06 14:51:45

Burlesque

All you really need to learn Swedish is "The Muppet Show".

Burlesque.

#11 06-07-06 14:57:24

The_West_Wind

Now that I can help you with, check this out:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~jbc/home/chef.html

#12 08-07-06 18:30:30

Siobhan

Hey, the world just got a bit smaller! Get this --I just walked over to my local coffee bar to get a Saturday morning iced, and ran into my friend Mike, who is  a smart, fun, helluva guy, a guy's guy who knows how to be with women.  I like him so much.

ANYWAY, he gives me this big hug and enthusiastic smile and says, guess where I'm heading tomorrow?! And I, feeling guilty beause he offered weeks ago to do trail-clearing on my mountain in advance of me taking donors hiking up there, said, um, up to the ridgetop with me? And he says, nope! I'm off to Stockholm; my buddy Tom and I are travelling through Sweden for two weeks!

And everyone else in line for coffee goes, no way! You lucky bastard.

SO.  He gallantly offered to deliver to Nowaysis (if someone has his email), Burlesque, and Kronocide some small love offerings from Amerika from Siobhan. I just need to know how to make that happen. I'll be emailing y'all, but since many of us don't use our primary email for IFM, I wanted to give you a heads' up here.

Um, let's just say that we know each other from a chat board and let it go at that, for now, ok? I haven't yet cleaned up my comments for when my town discovers this site (which it soon will).

cheers!

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#13 08-07-06 18:59:41

kronocide

Siobhan, that is so cool! In general, and of you. smile He should be happy with the weather when he arrives, we are frying over here at the moment, with temps around 30C, and the water is approaching swimable. I will make sure that my regular email is visible here.

--Tom Waits

#14 08-07-06 19:50:18

Elfman

How about here Siobhan.

http://www.ifeelmyself.com/forum/misc.php?email=481

Richard.  Will it still work now he is no longer a member?

Elfman

#15 08-07-06 23:25:42

Siobhan

thx elf. i'll try that.

and i'm going to assume he's just on hiatus and will be rejoining us.

Update: Fun! I love that as I type, some small piece of me and my life in my little Appalachian city is secreted in the jacket pocket of a friend, flying over the Atlantic, and will be in the hands of another IFMer soon enough.

Last edited by Siobhan (09-07-06 22:55:33)

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

Board footer