Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 27-08-23 22:31:02

MS2020

Recalling the lighter side of the extraordinary Sinead O'Connor

I'd been thinking about posting this for a while now. It's been about a month now since the world lost of the most uniquely brilliant and courageous artists. I still difficult for me to process at times.

Although her private trauma and public turmoil has been well documented, she defiantly wasn't angry and heartbroken all the time. She had a gleefully randy sense of humor. Which I think be as conductive to healing as allowing ones self to cry.
Given the repressive nature of Irish Catholic upbringing, I remembering finding very refreshing that she could be so openly unapologetic about being sexual while still be candidly spiritual. That really comes across in this interview.

I remember watching this back in 2000 when she was promoting her album Faith and Courage. Which is the only record of her I have, but one that I've listen to many times. Which I don't do with music very often. Of course controversy was never far. She had just given an interview where she came out as a lesbian only to back paddle a bit. Of course Howard Stern couldn't resist pushing her about, but she explained herself calmly and took his ribbing with good humor. It's sort of sweet actually. Be warned that childhood abuse is discussed in part, but it's doesn't get has heavy or graphic as some of her other talks.

Rest in Power: Irish Rebel and Songbird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtkD9JKOcsY

Last edited by MS2020 (27-08-23 22:31:59)

#2 13-09-23 19:00:58

Hangdog90

Re: Recalling the lighter side of the extraordinary Sinead O'Connor

That's a nice tribute. Sinéad O'Connor lived in the same neighbourhood as I do in Dublin, back in the 1990s. She would occasionally spend time in a nearby pub, the Beggar's Bush, where local people left her alone to enjoy a drink. She always looked beautiful - doe-like, with those amazing eyes - though usually dressed down, probably to avoid attention.

My generation is proud of her - she represents us in a powerful way. We are the first Irish generation to emerge from the shadow of the Catholic church, while still scarred by it. Sinéad was brave and fearless in how she expressed that.

If you haven't read it already, I strongly recommend her book, Rememberings. She is every bit as good a writer as her brother Joe.

This is what Michael Stipe of REM said about the book:

'Her voice on the page is as fearless, riveting and unforgettable as her voice in song. The cadence alone is hypnotic, her story essential. Rememberings is a must-read'

Last edited by Hangdog90 (13-09-23 19:02:03)

Board footer