Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 21-07-22 16:05:24

MS2020

How's the weather down there

With things still burning up in the Northern Hemisphere right now, I wondering is the largely Aussie (is that the right word) contributors can say right now about the other half. I've been trying to find so clear reports, but not had much luck. Anyone want to offer a report on how things are below the equator right now? Has been unusually, even unbearable cold lately or reasonable so? Anything unusual occurrence to suggest the effects of climate change you've noticed?

#2 22-07-22 02:45:50

_redbird_

Re: How's the weather down there

Hooo boy it is quite cold indeed! Apparently Melbourne had it's coldest morning in 4 years the other day. There were also horrible floods in New South Wales and southern Queensland earlier this year, and then they got hit with more recently, just as they were starting the lengthy process of cleaning up and rebuilding the 1000's of homes that have been destroyed or at least noticeably impacted by the floods. Even in areas that weren't too badly affected by flooding have found that mould is now present in most of the homes. Melbourne is often used as something of a yardstick to determine the effects of climate change, given that our city has such changeable and varied weather on account of our proximity to Antarctica, not to mention Australia gets a good portion of the hole in the ozone layer. The other day I found a pretty interesting Wikipedia page that details Melbourne's extreme weather events over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_w … %20Friday)

I was truly shocked when I heard the temperatures in the UK at the moment. Normally I'd have that usual smug Australian twinge of "Oh you think 28 degrees is hot?? TRY 43!" but oof, this extreme weather in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres at the moment is cause for quite a lot of alarm.

#3 22-07-22 22:25:00

MS2020

Re: How's the weather down there

Terrific insights redbird. Don't know if you prefer your user name capitalized, but that's how it's written. Would be willing to address that last question I raised for you in a previous discussion about portrayals of gay/bi women in film?Especially after that intriguing exchange you had with Hangdog about the movie Ammonite. Which frankly has me curious about checking it out myself.

Last edited by MS2020 (22-07-22 22:26:07)

Board footer