Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#26 09-08-06 19:34:58

Burlesque

Re: Bon appétit.

I've never seen blue corn, but then I live in Sweden. We only eat things that run very slowly.

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#27 09-08-06 19:35:40

nibbler

I see a picture of blue corn here.. but hardly looks blue. Maybe dark blue.. bordering on black?

http://www.bluecorn.net/

#28 09-08-06 19:50:38

Burlesque

It looks entirely black to me. On some level it fascinates me that we are having this discussion. smile

Burlesque.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#29 09-08-06 20:56:35

Siobhan

it's blue; dark blue or even perhaps, as li said, Indigo (as I can't easily tell the difference. It's the color of a new pair of original levi's 501's.)

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#30 10-08-06 02:29:45

Tommy

back to the condiments, is there anywhere in australia where a gal can get some tapatio? its a delicious blend of all sorts of spices and it comes in huge crusty bottles at every mexican restaurant in california.  I am finding it hard to enjoy the staples of my diet, (eggs cheese and another kind of cheese) without it. help.

#31 10-08-06 03:08:14

Siobhan

jolicrasseux wrote:

Please Siobahn, EVOO and C*U*I*S*E* prevent me to try your recipe.I tried many dictionaries. . . .Please, help me for the translation.

I don't know about the wisdom of trying to follow any recipe of mine, as they usually are a happy coincidence (or not) of my immediate desires and whatever's in the kitchen at the time, BUT:
EVOO = oil d'olive vierge
cuise = faire tres bien puree  avec le cuisinart

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#32 10-08-06 03:34:08

blissed

I'm hoping to convert the whole world to eating Quorn http://www.quorn.com which is a chicken substitute made from a fermented something or other smile
but it's really nice smile

Last edited by blissed (10-08-06 03:34:23)

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#33 10-08-06 03:50:39

Siobhan

I was excited to come back home tonight and post because I got taken out to this extraordinary restaurant for dinner and I knew I'd eat something wild and get to share about it. But, sadly, it must have been an off night because every single thing was a letdown.

well. except for the avocado magueritas.

#34 10-08-06 03:56:57

Tommy

mmmm were they spicy or what, avocado and sugar seems a bit gross, describe an avocado margeurita for me please

#35 10-08-06 04:16:40

Siobhan

well. . . .

yeah, we were talking about this at dinner. I think avocadoes are starting to get their due as a fruit, even though they're not sweet like most fruits. They are, for example, fucking awesome chopped up into vanilla ice cream, and if you don't believe me, imagine what it would feel like to your mouth to be immersed in all that texture. There's something about it that's very body-like, and I think that's part of the pleasure of eating them.

Mix that mouth-feel with a helping of tequila (and, yes, I know, sugar!) and it's like all the good things in life going down at once.

Around here at the tapas bar that makes them so perfectly (only on Fridays and Saturdays so you have to wait all week) they actually call them avocado martinis and serve them in martini glasses, but it's a bit of a mindfuck because it's sweet and plush -- like a mouth of velvet thigh.

#36 12-08-06 12:11:27

Burlesque

My favourite cheese is Queso azul de oja (reservations for spelling), a creamy, strong flavoured, Spanish blue cheese that for some reason comes wrapped in maple leaves (which you don't eat, obviously). It tastes like a full classical consert in one's mouth, with themes and counter themes overlapping each other.

There! Now you can all claim that you love me smile.

Burlesque.

#37 12-08-06 13:06:05

The_Elfman
Website

Just good old fashioned red Leicester for me I’m afraid.  You can toast it, cook with it or eat it just the way it is.  I use loads of it when making my favourite meal, Tuna Pasta Bake:

Peel 3 fair sized potatoes, slice thinly, boil until almost soft then line the bottom of a casserole dish with them.  Heat a large tin of macaroni cheese and melt in a wodge of Red Leicester cheese.  (If you’re not such a big cheese fan you can you use half a wodge).  When the cheese has completely melted pour the macaroni over the potatoes.  Open a large tin of tuna, drain and spread over the macaroni.  Grate another wodge of cheese and sprinkle over the top.  Place in oven for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees C.  Hardly High Cuisine I admit but Lovely.

Elfman.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

#38 12-08-06 13:17:57

Burlesque

That's a whole lot of cheese, Elf. I'm not ecstatic about tinned tuna, but it sounds like that recipe would work just as well with pork or beef, and then I think I would like it a great deal.

About cheese: if you like blue cheese, chop some up and pour it over steaming hot pasta so that it melts and gets all gooey. That will put a silver lining even on a mediocre meal.

Burlesque.

#39 12-08-06 14:18:43

Siobhan

yum! AND I just learned a new word: wodge. Elf, could we hear more from you about what it defines, connotes, to your mind? (Can one have a wodge of dirt, or a wodge of time? something tells me no to each.) 

burlesque -- i love you i love you i love you.

#40 12-08-06 14:30:43

Burlesque

Yes, Siobhan, but do you what my favourite chee... Oh shit.

Burlesque.

#41 12-08-06 14:34:00

The_Elfman
Website

Siobhan wrote:

yum! AND I just learned a new word: wodge. Elf, could we hear more from you about what it defines, connotes, to your mind? (Can one have a wodge of dirt, or a wodge of time? something tells me no to each.) 

burlesque -- i love you i love you i love you.

Well a wodge is more than a splot of course and considerably more than a smidgeon but not as much as a dollop.  Yes you can have a wodge of anything that can be sub-divided I should think Siobhan but I don't think I would refer to a wodge of liquid.  I think that would be silly.

Elfman

#42 12-08-06 14:39:34

Burlesque

"Wodge" and "splot". (Taking furious notes in order to understand this thing which The Elf refers to as "English".)

In fact, when I read The Elf's post, I must have confused the apocryphal "wodge" with the more commonly used "wedge", so I saw him happily melting about a pound of cheese and throwing some random tuna into it. I am now severely disappointed.

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (12-08-06 14:55:25)

#43 12-08-06 15:26:05

The_Elfman
Website

Burlesque wrote:

In fact, when I read The Elf's post, I must have confused the apocryphal "wodge" with the more commonly used "wedge", so I saw him happily melting about a pound of cheese and throwing some random tuna into it. I am now severely disappointed.Burlesque.

actually Burlesque that isn't too far off the mark.  I love cheese smile.

Elfman

#44 12-08-06 15:28:57

Burlesque

Then all is well in the kingdom.

Within a few minutes, my dinner creation of the day should be ready: boiled spaghetti avec un slice de dead pig, possibly with some grated cheese over it just because everybody is jabbering on about cheese all of a sudden smile.

Burlesque.

#45 12-08-06 16:25:36

Warmtouch

"Wodge" is a purely solid measure, whereas "splot" is a liquid measure. "Dollop" is a semi-liquid measure, as of honey or yoghurt. "Smidgeon" is an amount so small that the state of matter of the substance is irrelevant; it could even be used of gases in a pinch.

The British do weird-ass shit with tinned tuna that sane people wouldn't consider. They even mix maize (corn to Americans) into it and eat it that way. I would not regard them as authorities on the subject of tuna. Cod, maybe, and haddock, plaice, or herrings (though the Swedes have them beat for types of herrings), but not tuna.

#46 12-08-06 17:06:24

The_Elfman
Website

Oh don't be such a pedant Warmtouch.  In my family all of these terms were "flexible".

I thought that the whole point of tuna was that you could do weird-ass stuff with it.  (I'd agree about the Tuna and sweetcorn though).

And for the record I have just eaten my dinner for today.  Two microwaved sausage rolls and a large portion of chips (French fries for you colonials).

Who said I don't know how to eat well. 

Elfman

Last edited by The_Elfman (12-08-06 17:10:44)

#47 12-08-06 17:52:47

Burlesque

Warmtouch just brought up an interesting subject: pickled herring. These days you can get it in all manner of flavours (like lemon and garlic, which are obviously not traditional), but my favourites are the classic ones: onion-flavoured and dill-flavoured. Can you get pickled herring outside of Scandinavia?

In August we also have our "crayfish premiere", where we eat a lot of dill-boiled crayfish, drink vodka and wear silly hats. Apart from the hat part, it's one of the few Swedish traditions I'm fond of, and I intend to buy half a pound of crayfish tomorrow. Living on the west coast, I can get it very fresh.

By the way, Elf, tinned tuna is weirdass stuff smile.

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (12-08-06 17:55:01)

#48 12-08-06 18:55:36

Siobhan

Yes, you CAN get pickled herring here in the States. We have a large pop. of descendants of scand. immigrants in the midwest, esp wisconsin, minnesota, michigan, and the dakotas, so pickled herring is a staple, AND for reasons that I'm not sure about, descendents of eastern european jews here also eat herring, esp. on holidays. I like it, esp the kind in vinegar with dill.

The last weekend in May, every year for many years now, a group of friends and I gather on a big farm in Tennessee and play music and drink considerable amounts of alcohol in all its many forms and smoke prodigous amonts of weed and dance and build a shrine to elvis to which we genuflect, and there's a sect who only bows to patsy cline, so there's a shrine for her. but the MAIN place of worship, from which the others parted in a schism, is the Shrine of Bambi -- each year, someone is certain to bring from some far off country a piece of bone that is arguably (to them, at least) the ONE TRUE RELIC of Bambi.

Anyway, all manner of strange and pseudo-profound oracles and arbitrarily-imposed structures of meaning abound, like the Fashionista Police, The Commisioner of Compliance (to be 'in compliance,' one has to be under the influence of at least two mind-altering substances at all times; fines are levied for those who are not in compliance).

To me, the HIGHLIGHT of the weekend is invariably the "bloody-mary stir-off," won last year by yours truly OR the "Crawdaddy Suck-fest," also known as Saturday night's dinner. We bring in about 150 pounds of crayfish from the Gulf Coast, boil 'em off with all the right seasonings, and toss them in the middle of newspaper-covered picnic tables set up in long lines down the lawn. With fresh-cooked cornbread, turnip greens with pot liquor, homemade lemon mayonnaise, and cold bottles of local brewed beer, it's the happiest night of spring.

oh ps: warm thanks to Warmtouch for that magnificent exegesis of "WODGE."

Last edited by Siobhan (12-08-06 18:58:01)

#49 12-08-06 19:12:31

Burlesque

Wow! I don't even know enough people to divide them into sects!

Good point about the Eastern European Jews: I had forgotten that the Russians and other Eastern European peoples also pickle herring.

The right seasoning for crayfish is dill. Period. We Swedes tend to neigh in terror at any other way of serving them, but that's just because it's such an ingrained tradition with us. You should hear the debates about whether sweet water or salt water crayfish is better - that can turn into rather heated discussions. Being from the coast, I prefer the salt water ones, because they have a natural, fresh, salty sea flavour to them, while the sweet water ones tend to taste like ... er ... mud, really.

Our crayfish population is no longer what it should be, so we import a lot from other countries, notably Turkey, where they don't eat crayfish. I have heard that the Turks who grow crayfish for export tend to shake their heads and wonder what kind of people likes to eat "insects" smile

Burlesque.

#50 12-08-06 19:22:46

Siobhan

Do you Swedes suck the heads?

Board footer