Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#1 08-08-06 16:19:03

Burlesque

Bon appétit.

Sex and sleep are two intense pleasures, but so is food, so I thought it would not be completely out of place with a thread about eating stuff, particularly as I have noticed that Blissed and Siobhan tend to come back to the subject every so often. This has led me to believe that there is an interest in food, cooking and so on.

My eating habits these days are about as unhealthy as is humanly possible without dying outright, but I used to love to cook, and I'm still very interested in food. I pride myself on my keenness to try anything at least once, and that way I have discovered many favourite dishes that at first glance didn't look very appealing, such as squid and escargots, for instance.

Things I love to eat: liver, mushrooms, blue cheese, entrecôtes, avocados, maquerel, cashew nuts and anything containing abrasive quantities of garlic and/or thyme.

Also, I have a question: what are the traditional ingredients of haggis? I've been dying to try it, and I'm not likely to find it on a restaurant menu in Sweden ...

Burlesque.

Maintain a sense of humour about it, whatever "it" is.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#2 08-08-06 17:17:51

The_Elfman
Website

Re: Bon appétit.

Potato crisps, beer and microwave currys.  What more does a man need?

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

#3 08-08-06 18:13:12

blissed

A sexual partner? smile or 2? smile

Haggis

Stomach bag and pluck (heart, liver and lights of a sheep --
                                you can substitute a selection of organ meats)
        2 onions, peeled
        2 c pinhead oatmeal (Irish oatmeal)
        1 2/3 c suet
        salt & pepper
        trussing needle and fine string

Anything served in a stomach bag is going to be lovely isn't it smile

Last edited by blissed (08-08-06 18:14:33)

(Self made tycoon and independant financial advisor to the stars)

#4 08-08-06 18:53:12

Burlesque

Wow, talk about rapid responses! Thanks, Blissed, you're the last person I would expect to know anything about haggis. I will have to reprimand you, though: you, like so many people, limit yourself by automatically making assumptions about something you don't think will be nice. I say this only because I still care about you.

And Elf: your diet sounds incredibly like my own. Perhaps we could collaborate on a Bachelor Cookbook? I'll write and you'll take the pictures, lovely, mouth-watering pictures of rumpled, half-empty bags of crisps beside ashtrays overflowing with butts on a table strewn with empty beer cans. All tastefully lit à la IFM, of course.

Burlesque.

"Max Fan Club" Head of Security and In-house Sycophant. (Who says evil can't be a full-time occupation?)

#5 08-08-06 23:43:54

blissed

I think a word should be said here for soy sauce, which I now can't live without. I've tried to break free but I can't. So now I religously make sure I never run out, because if I ever do, I dread to think of the consiquences.

Last edited by blissed (08-08-06 23:44:33)

#6 08-08-06 23:46:17

Burlesque

Nothing wrong with soy sauce, if it's the real stuff. I use it on rice in Chinese restaurants, which is probably something one could be put to death for in certain circumstances, but I do it anyway. Yes, very tasty.

Burlesque.

#7 09-08-06 00:13:27

Siobhan

great thread idea, burlesque.

i, too, love soy sauce, but i can't eat wheat (one of its main components) so I always carry a bottle of tamari (soy sauce fermented without wheat) in my car for those spontaneous raids on the sashimi bar.

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#8 09-08-06 00:17:18

Burlesque

I thought one wasn't allowed to bring one's own bottles into bars smile.

Burlesque.

#9 09-08-06 00:22:18

Burlesque

I actually didn't know what suet is, so I Googled it, and it turns out it has its own homepage.

http://www.bcpl.net/~tross/by/suet.html

The Internet never ceases to amaze me.

Burlesque.

#10 09-08-06 00:37:01

The_Elfman
Website

Suet is wonderful.  You make dumplings with it.

Good night guys.  Sweet dreams for TWW to analise.

Elfman.

Last edited by The_Elfman (09-08-06 07:51:14)

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

#11 09-08-06 00:38:50

Burlesque

"Analise". That's nothing short of special. And in a food thread too.

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (09-08-06 00:46:46)

#12 09-08-06 00:46:49

Siobhan

me too. though it doesn't seem to have a place for translating Maori into English for the benefit of those of us who don't read it. . . .

So. food. Where to begin. I guess with last night's dinner, since we're having it again this evening as well.

Last week's food section in the NYT ran a great piece on gaspacho -- seems that it goes all the way back to like the 4th cent AD, and it did not include tomatoes until any many centuries later. So last night I was so hot and so not into cooking in this heat, and I wanted to make something nice, because my housemate is leaving town in a few days, and there were some great heirloom garden tomatoes left over from this weekend's festivities. So I brought out the blendr and put in two fresh cucumbers (minus the skin) and three big scallions (the heads were the size of small garlic bulbs) and several tomatoes that I'd skinned in boiling water and a clove of garlic and some EV OO and sea salt and fresh ground pepper and went "C*U*I*S*E!!!!!"  I poured that into shallow bowls and then did the same ting all over again, minus the tomatoes: "C*U*I*S*E*!!" and poured this next mixture, which was more green in color, into the middle of the first so that the bowls had a central emerald island in this rosy sea; then I toasted triangles of millet bread in a cast iron skillet with OO and another garlic clove, and placed those on the sides of the bowls, and cut about 3 ounces of buffalo mozzarella (sp?) into the center and sprinkled some thinly sliced scallions on top of the resulting melange (now there's a good $5 foodie word, eh?!) and put it on the table with a bottle of sparkling white portugese wine and the pepper grinder and it felt like a real meal, only I hadn't made the kitchen hot, and she was very happy and so was I.

except that we didn't eat til 10 pm which is a habit i'd like to break.

I don't often cook these days; it's one of the pleasure of my life, so it was funny to come in and see this new thread, as I'd just this morning, in the middle of a planning meeting, written in my scheduler: "start cooking again."

Under all speech that is good for any-thing there lies a silence that is better.  Silence is as deep as Eternity;  speech is as shallow as Time.--Thomas Carlysle

#13 09-08-06 00:52:19

Burlesque

Wow, Siobhan! Highly impressive inventiveness indeed. Also, it sounds delicious, but then again, anything with garlic in it will do it for me smile. I enjoy it when food looks good as well as tastes good, and this dish must be beautiful to behold.

Burlesque.

#14 09-08-06 02:26:18

aven frey
Video editor
Website

I just like soy chocolate. mmm soy chocolate. soy cheese, soy milk (or as Richard likes to call it soy juice). Is there anything soy can't do!!

#15 09-08-06 02:56:05

richard
Administrator

max wrote:

I just like soy chocolate. mmm soy chocolate. soy cheese, soy milk (or as Richard likes to call it soy juice). Is there anything soy can't do!!

My partner is a veg so our shopping trolley just gets stacked with dozens pf pernmutations of soy bean offal. What's the point of calling it 'milk' or 'chocolate' or 'bacon' (yes they make it) when it's all beans?  Just call it Soylent Yellow and be done with it, I say.

And the answer to your question is, yes: taste good.

#16 09-08-06 08:56:57

catt

blissed wrote:

I think a word should be said here for soy sauce, which I now can't live without. I've tried to break free but I can't. So now I religously make sure I never run out, because if I ever do, I dread to think of the consiquences.

Blissed, I'm with you there. It's my condiment of choice.  I can't live without it either.

xxCattxx

~ I like tanks, boobs and licorice, and swear far too much to be considered a lady ~

#17 09-08-06 09:16:02

Burlesque

richard wrote:
max wrote:

My partner is a veg so our shopping trolley just gets stacked with dozens pf pernmutations of soy bean offal. What's the point of calling it 'milk' or 'chocolate' or 'bacon' (yes they make it) when it's all beans?  Just call it Soylent Yellow and be done with it, I say.

lol

I'm nasty in a way (yes, only one of them is relevant right now), because as soon as I hear that someone is a vegetarian, I always picture them as the sole survivor of a plane crash on a mountain top, where they are surrounded by tins of meat and nothing else to eat. I see them sitting there, arms folded, going "Nope, ain't gonna eat that. Wouldn't be right."

Burlesque.

#18 09-08-06 13:03:57

nibbler

Has anyone realized that food comes in a variety of colors, but mostly is never blue? (except i believe blue cheese? I have never seen it though)

#19 09-08-06 13:40:40

nibbler

Liandra wrote:

still I certainly don't want women to start being milked in dairy farm production lines.

Hmmm.. that woulnt be a very wise idea.. considering what it would do to the earth's population just to keep up with the milk demand.

I dont remember any more..what human milk tastes like. Has been more than 10 years since i last tasted it.. guess will have to find some lactating _and_ willing woman smile

About blue, many color blind folks are not completely color blind.. but cant see blue.. wonder what would they see blue food as? I think thats another reason why food isnt blue smile

#20 09-08-06 13:46:12

RichardL

Burlesque wrote:
richard wrote:
max wrote:

lol

I'm nasty in a way (yes, only one of them is relevant right now), because as soon as I hear that someone is a vegetarian, I always picture them as the sole survivor of a plane crash on a mountain top, where they are surrounded by tins of meat and nothing else to eat. I see them sitting there, arms folded, going "Nope, ain't gonna eat that. Wouldn't be right."

Burlesque.

well this could get contentious!! all this antivegetarian propaganda as if veggies were stupid...personally
i would eat human flesh on a mountaintop plane crash as in the film...if it was necessary. but the point is that (IMHO!)it isn't necessary to eat the bodies of animals who have mostly been exploited, filled with steroids, hormones etc,and (mostly)finally terrified at the end of their lives. giving all you carnivores a good dose of adrenalin and other fear hormones.......
Actually i agree with richard, that you don't need to pretend that processed soya is something it isn't. My conversion from carniverousness came when reading (in RD Laing's 'Politics of Experience' many years ago)/realising how people pretend meat is something it isn't.we even use different words for the meat and the animal.
sorry to get a bit messianic but i think some vegetarian propaganda was overdue!
lol RichardL

#21 09-08-06 13:49:19

The_West_Wind

But blueberries are not blue on the inside. We've been ripped off!

It wont stop me eating them though.

I love grapes. White seedless ones best of all. I have a tradition where I will not eat any grapes until after the 27th of January. For some reason they just taste better after that day. After that day there is nothing but the contence of my wallet stopping me from chowing down on that sweeet, sweeeet goodness.
Sometimes I like to chill them and eat them like figs.

*Homer Simpson-like slobber*

Well... there was nothing in my dark side that really interested me. I guess I just dont have what it takes to be a bad guy.

#22 09-08-06 13:50:48

nibbler

I think we need a new thread here on "food with sex" smile

#23 09-08-06 18:15:26

blissed

RichardL wrote:

well this could get contentious!! all this antivegetarian propaganda as if veggies were stupid...personally
i would eat human flesh on a mountaintop plane crash as in the film...if it was necessary. but the point is that (IMHO!)it isn't necessary to eat the bodies of animals who have mostly been exploited, filled with steroids, hormones etc,and (mostly)finally terrified at the end of their lives. giving all you carnivores a good dose of adrenalin and other fear hormones.......
Actually i agree with richard, that you don't need to pretend that processed soya is something it isn't. My conversion from carniverousness came when reading (in RD Laing's 'Politics of Experience' many years ago)/realising how people pretend meat is something it isn't.we even use different words for the meat and the animal.
sorry to get a bit messianic but i think some vegetarian propaganda was overdue!
lol RichardL

Yayyy!! for veggies!!!!!! One day the earth will be plagued by a deadly disease carried in meat (but not fish and especially not wild red pacific Salmon) that kills off all the carnivores and then we won't be able to say I told you so, because we'll be the only ones around!! This will happen, because I know.  I saw it in a dream.
I don't eat meat of animals that share an emotional state similar to mine. Actually  animals that laugh at nothing and cry at the drop of a hat wouldn't survive very long in the wild,  but you know what I mean smile Yes if I was crashed on a frozen mountain top I think I'd start nibbling, but once you've eaten all your x friends, what happens then? better make sure your not the weakest link smile

RichardL, welcome to the forum smile

Last edited by blissed (09-08-06 18:19:17)

#24 09-08-06 19:08:10

Burlesque

Somehow I knew that my little mountain top parable would deteriorate into hackle-raising tales of cannibalism. I said "tinned meat" in the name of good taste, but I should have known what you people are like wink.

Just for the record: I have nothing against vegetarians as long as they don't try to stop me from eating the stuff I like. Also, I don't know about the rest of us carnivores, but I don't pretend that meat is something other than it is. I love chowing down on dead pig butts, torn-out glandular organs and the muscles ripped from the thighs and spines of unsuspecting calves tongue.

I would say that the blue parts of blue cheese is a greenish blue, so no, that wouldn't count as blue food either. A re-heated TV dinner eaten alone, on the other hand ...

Burlesque.

Last edited by Burlesque (09-08-06 19:10:24)

#25 09-08-06 19:31:26

Siobhan

we here in the americas eat an awful lot of blue corn these days. is it not sold in other places? I know this is where it's from, but. . .

anyway, it's truly blue.

Board footer