Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#26 29-06-22 15:41:30

maurice_B

Re: Has the forum gotten duller since Viva left?

Hey Viva, so great to hear that you’re expecting, you’ll be the best Mum ever!

re Roe v Wade: I recently saw a documentary on El Salvador, a country with a total abortion ban. The local jails are full of women serving a ten year or more sentence for ‘having aborted’. All it takes to be separated from your family for a full decade is to be admitted to hospital with severe bleeding, and to have some extremist doctor or nurse denounce you for alleged self-inflicted miscarriage. Then try to disprove the claim before an equally extremist judge.

This may or may not be the future in some parts of the US, but I’m finding it hard to wrap my head around ANY kind of proposal for a total ban. Forcing a rape or incest victim to carry the product of that assault to term and to raise the child so conceived? Piling trauma upon trauma? How sick is that? As a guy I’ll obviously never be pregnant but I'm still acutely aware what it means to be a parent, emotionally, socially, financially – there’s simply no justification to force this upon anybody who isn’t ready for it. Zero. Nada.

In Germany, abortion is technically illegal but can be performed with impunity up to 12 weeks after conception, and throughout the pregnancy for medical reasons. Even so, doctors performing abortions can be hard to find in some rural areas, as many have suspended their services due to right-wing activists hassling the staff. On the positive front, parliament has just suspended a law prohibiting gynaecologists to inform on abortion in any way other than orally, or even to advertise that they do perform abortions.

I agree with Hangdog that activism is the only way forward. Make your voices heard over and over again, dear Americans, and get out and vote as long as your vote still matters.

Last edited by maurice_B (30-06-22 12:42:01)

#27 01-07-22 17:14:05

Hangdog90

Re: Has the forum gotten duller since Viva left?

maurice_B wrote:

Hey Viva, so great to hear that you’re expecting, you’ll be the best Mum ever!

re Roe v Wade: I recently saw a documentary on El Salvador, a country with a total abortion ban. The local jails are full of women serving a ten year or more sentence for ‘having aborted’.

I agree with Hangdog that activism is the only way forward. Make your voices heard over and over again, dear Americans, and get out and vote as long as your vote still matters.

Margaret Atwood, the author of The Handmaid's Tale, just tweeted this cartoon :

https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/stat … Fjr7A&s=09

Board footer