Let's talk about sex...and other stuff.

Not logged in, login now.  

#26 06-05-22 04:07:10

Hangdog90

Re: Russia invades Ukraine : how do we respond?

PS I am not boycotting the Russian contributors here, having taken the temperature and heard the discussion points. So you will notice among my transcripts Viktoria_D, Leria_G and June_M, all recent Russian contributors.

#27 06-05-22 14:10:05

ashmedi2

Hangdog90 wrote:

PS I am not boycotting the Russian contributors here, having taken the temperature and heard the discussion points. So you will notice among my transcripts Viktoria_D, Leria_G and June_M, all recent Russian contributors.

I don't believe June_M is Russian, I am sure she is Scandinavian, maybe Swedish...

Check ISM for info,  she is from Stockholm...

Last edited by ashmedi2 (06-05-22 14:13:05)

Ashmedi is an ancient god of rage and lust ...
I never feel rage, but lust is my fav of the 7 deadly sins ...

#28 06-05-22 17:33:30

Hangdog90

ashmedi2 wrote:

I don't believe June_M is Russian, I am sure she is Scandinavian, maybe Swedish...

Check ISM for info,  she is from Stockholm...

IFM say she is Swedish, so you this is an understandable error.

But IFM do make mistakes on nationalities now and again! big_smile

Here's June_M in her own words, from the opening sentence of her video priofile:

"Hello everybody, I’m 26 years old. I’m from Russia, Moscow, only I live in St Petersburg but now I decided to change my place and here I am."

#29 06-05-22 18:41:00

puuma2004

Hangdog90 wrote:

I know, but the point was the question itself. Why was there even an open question about boycotting Russian contributors when a similar question has never been asked of contributors from other countries that do MUCH worse?

I'm also not saying we need to go back in history. I'm talking about the here and now. In the here and now, Ukraine is far from the worst humanitarian crisis, yet discussion centers exclusively on Russia, and people actively shut me down when I bring up other atrocities they *don't* talk about at all, in spite of those atrocities being worse.

I also have family in Ukraine, specifically Mariupol'. I have family in Russia that I can no longer financially support because the west cut Russia off from the world banking system. That second part is the bit no one seems to be thinking about, because the whole world has gone absolutely crazy with regard to Russia, carrying out collective punishment, and not caring how far-reaching the consequences are, or what impact this has on ordinary people.

To put it bluntly, the west can't do anything to stop Putin. No amount of sanctions will stop him, and, if anything, sanctions will embolden him, because he's got no out from this. No way to declare victory and pull back, so he's forced to double down. The western powers are imposing sanctions for strictly geopolitical reasons. The west isn't doing this because it's the "right thing to do". The west has never done the right thing throughout history. They're taking advantage of this situation to test out NATO weaponry and get rid of older weaponry, as well as to weaken a geopolitical rival. Westerners on the ground are happy to support sanctions because they're just anti-Russian at this point, and have been for a long time. No part of these sanction packages is designed to help the situation. They're just designed to advance western interests and to appease western people hungry for punishing all Russians. These sanctions should have started and ended with targeted sanctions against Putin alone, and those oligarchs involved in the war directly. Everything past that is unjustified.

#30 06-05-22 18:51:32

puuma2004

At any rate, I've said my piece. I saw you backed off it later, but I wanted to confront you about the initial point.

You have no idea the level of bigotry against Russians I've seen in the last few years, and it's been ramping up. Nothing Russia or Putin does, or could do justifies blanket statements about Russians or collective punishment. This is how people end up in camps.

So every time I see a statement like the one you made, where you were just exploring the possibility of retaliating against innocent Russians for Putin's misdeeds, I shut it down. I don't tolerate bigotry, however well-intentioned or inadvertent. The whole world is on Ukraine's side right now, and next to no one on the planet today cares about what happens to my People. The Ukraine conflict will end at some point, hopefully soon, and then the world will still be against my People for years to come because people aren't rational creatures. People are mindless creatures who hate whomever they're told to hate, and they don't ask why, and they don't stop once the "why" has been resolved.

#31 06-05-22 20:55:25

Hangdog90

puuma2004 wrote:

At any rate, I've said my piece. I saw you backed off it later, but I wanted to confront you about the initial point.

You have no idea the level of bigotry against Russians I've seen in the last few years, and it's been ramping up. Nothing Russia or Putin does, or could do justifies blanket statements about Russians or collective punishment. This is how people end up in camps.

So every time I see a statement like the one you made, where you were just exploring the possibility of retaliating against innocent Russians for Putin's misdeeds, I shut it down. I don't tolerate bigotry, however well-intentioned or inadvertent. The whole world is on Ukraine's side right now, and next to no one on the planet today cares about what happens to my People. The Ukraine conflict will end at some point, hopefully soon, and then the world will still be against my People for years to come because people aren't rational creatures. People are mindless creatures who hate whomever they're told to hate, and they don't ask why, and they don't stop once the "why" has been resolved.

You have a good understanding of psychology. There's a powerful thing in life called reciprocation. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, in biblical terms.

Unfortunately right now Russia is collectively punishing Ukrainians. As of today 400 hospitals have been attacked in Ukraine. Bombardment of civilian apartment buildings is Russian policy.
Reciprocation makes us all feel, well, what goes around comes around, so you deserve to be treated in the same manner and collectively punished too.

All we are doing is sanctions to try and make Putin stop. It's an insane war that is making Russia an international pariah. Our collective punishment is nothing at all like one Putin is meting out to men women and children, the sick the  old and even the pregnant.

You can't have it both ways. I have heard a lot of deflection from you about other conflicts but the subject at hand here is Ukraine and I don't detect that you want to say anything by way of admitting it is criminal and that it is aggression.

Board footer